Look it up

Google
 

Friday, August 31, 2007

Merdeka! Merdeka! Merdeka!


Today is 31 August 2007. It's means today is Malaysia's National Day. I guess I should write something about Merdeka. Don't get me wrong. Even though I am working in Singapore, I love Malaysia. I am as patriotic as any Malaysian can be.

Malaysia achieved independence from the British rule in 1957. Which means, it's been 50 years of independence. It should be a grand occasion. 50 years of independence. 50 years of freedom. 50 years of being Malaysia. Have we truly achieved what we set out to achieve 50 years ago? This is not a political post. Just looking back at what has been achieved over the past 50 years.

In Malaysia, people of all races and culture live together in harmony, with respect and love. Because of that, Malaysia Boleh!

The country has developed vigorously over the past 5 decades. Our economy was at a peak in the 1990s before the Asian Financial Crisis. We weathered the crisis while some countries sank. Because of that, Malaysia Boleh!

Malaysia has its own national car and even host the F1 race. Because of that, Malaysia Boleh!

Nicol David is the top women squash player in the world. Because of that, Malaysia Boleh!

While some things have improved for the better, some things remain the same. As Msia's 50th birthday approached, the celebrations have been clouded by many current issues. Those issues I shall not mention here. But are we bluffing ourselves? Some issues, the government have instructed to be placed a gag order.
"We shall not question the authority of the government."
I agree that some things should not be said, but recently, this authority have been used too frequently. Does our 50 years of freedom include the freedom of speech? Again we ask ourselves, have we truly achieved what we CAN achieve in 50 years?

I love Malaysia. I was born in Malaysia. I was raised in Malaysia. My heart lies in Malaysia. 50 years of independence. 50 years of being one country. 50 years of being one nation. Where will we be 50 years from now ...

No comments: